We’ve all been there. Most of us, at one point or another, have been impacted by an indifferent manager. This types of manager never acknowledges your accomplishments or offers any type of positive feedback. What do you do when you work for someone who has the personality of wall paint? Many years ago, you could simply look for another job and easily find a new one. In today’s economy, however, you might be stuck in your current job for the long haul. Here are 5 ways to handle an indifferent manager.
1. Continue to work hard. Just because your work isn’t recognized by your manager doesn’t mean your coworkers or other managers don’t appreciate/notice your efforts.
2. Don’t gossip or talk about your manager to your coworkers. Negativity breeds negativity and before you know it, everyone at work will have a bad attitude.
3. Go out to lunch. When you get frustrated with things at work– leave the office for lunch. Sometimes this much needed break can help you feel better and put things into perspective.
4. Set your own goals. If your manager isn’t setting goals for you, set your own. Reward yourself when you meet them.
5. Get a hobby or do some volunteer work. Find a way to focus your energy on something positive outside of the office.
When dealing with an indifferent manager, don’t let your self esteem take a dive. Remember that your job does not define who you are as a person.